Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Though I Walk Through the Valley in the Shadow of Paul Giamatti...

Closed the paper, ran the edit meeting, stepped out for some fresh air. Wandered up to Big Jar, the used shop on 2nd Street I've blogged about in the past. There, I overheard the clerk tell a friend, "Yeah, you just missed Paul Giamatti. He was in here a little while ago."

That would be Paul Giamatti, Dave White-sound-a-like, who's in town filming M. Night Shyamalan's Lady in the Water. (And don't go fussing, Mr. White. Even Wallace Stroby says you sound like him when you're exasperated.)

I took my purchases to the counter. (C'mon, I'm in a used bookstore. Like I'm not going to have purchases?) "Excuse me," I say. "Did you say Paul Giamatti was here?"

"Yep. He was over by the science fiction section for a while, but he didn't buy anything."

"Too bad."

"Yeah."

Her friend asked: "Did you say anything to him?"

"No."

I shoved a fistful of cash at the clerk and ran down 2nd Street to the Book Trader, which has an even bigger science fiction section. But no Giamatti. Maybe he was called back to the set. Maybe he decided to get a cheeseburger. But we will meet up at some point. I know we will. I have no idea why I want to meet up with him, mind you. This has become one of those epic quests where the original reason for the quest has been lost to the mists of time.

Until next time, Mr. Giamatti...

(Curious about those purchases? I know the Bride will be. Let's see... I bought two Andrew Vachss paperbacks, Blossom and Blue Belle, two John Harvey paperbacks, Cold Light and Lonely Hearts, and two Dr. Seuss books for the kids: Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? and I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words.)

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar